Thursday, September 29, 2016

TOO FACED CHRISTMAS IN NEW YORK THE CHOCOLATE SHOP PALETTE, SHADOW INSURANCE, MELTED CHOCOLATE LIPSTICK & BETTER THAN SEX REVIEW! WORST PALETTE EVER?


THE TOO FACED CHOCOLATE SHOP PALETTE REVIEW!

I bought this from Sephora online for $58 not including tax. That's a bit steep but honestly I've fallen in love with the Too Faced Cosmetics brand and it has a ton of stuff in the set that I've been wanting to try. For example the Melted Chocolate Lipsticks, really any Melted lipstick. I love the Melted Mattes so I figured I would love these too. It also came with the shadow insurance primer that I've been wanting to try in what they call the "deluxe" sample size and then there's a pretty small sample size of Better Than Sex Mascara which I already like a lot despite my first impression review here on my blog (I will update that and make a long term REVIEW for that soon.) Then it comes with a blush, bronzer and highlighter along with twenty eyeshadows. What really sold me on this was that it was a combination of the colors I wanted to try from the Too Faced Nikkie Tutorials Palette, their Peanut Butter and Jelly Palette and some of their Sweet Peach Palette. I just became a fan of this brand so I haven't tried any of those. I own the Chocolate Bon Bons and that's what sold me on this brand recently. 



Before that I just thought of this brand as an overly gimmicky childish brand that targets preteens that are just experimenting and don't know the difference between quality or high end brands. Kids makeup is basically what I thought their brand was. Kids makeup with dirty words lol. I actually love that part about this brand. I love sexual expression. How happy it can make people to accept themselves sexually and be able to communicate to their partners about their wants and needs and the ending of slut shaming and all that jazz. I just like the fact that they embrace sexuality in the naming of a lot of their products and in turn relay subliminal messaging that sex doesn't need to be dirty, wrong and secretive. Now that's a subliminal message I can get behind ladies!


Now onto the actual review now that you know what my hopes were. I was hoping it would be beautiful and pigmented colors like the chocolate bar palettes and the smaller palettes like too cute!, Boudoir Eyes, etc.
I was SOOO disappointed. From what I seen online (the tiny bit I could find since I got this pretty much immediately after the release date) was that the colors were pretty and pigmented. The reviews on Sephoras website were mixed but pretty much half and half and of course Sephora shows mostly positive reviews towards the top which is the furthest most of us usually go to look. 



The reality was that these shadows were horrid. They were dry and flaky. The glittery shadows were chunky and still had so little pigmentation. The lighter colors didn't show up at all. I thought maybe they were just matching my skin so I rubbed them on my friends face, hands and arms with a finger then a brush then with primer. Every time they either didn't show up or barely showed up no matter how many layers. Now obviously people are doing something to get the colors to look like they do in the pictures below and my guess is that they are either getting them wet or grabbing a shit ton of product and basically smashing it down as hard as they can while swatching to make it look like a normal swatch. 

I personally don't want to work that hard when I spend over $60 USD on a palette. That's ridiculous. The absolute worst colors with zero to close to no pigmentation were Cookie Dough, the two biggest white colors, and every light to medium matte shade. Next the very lightly pigmented colors that could possibly be built up with a lot of product or a wet brush and a very good primer that's still wet and sticky when applying the colors are Jingled Berry (purple), Mint Chip (deep green/blue) and Sugared Raisin (glittery silver/light purple). The other shimmer shades have decent color but there's too few of them to make this set even a little bit worth it to me. 



These are actual swatches from the people who found a way to make the colors work above in the "pigmented" swatches. (Liars!) Lol

The lipstick is an orangey looking weird color I can't describe. Maybe an orange caramel color? Idk. You decide:

Now I had super high hopes for these Melted Lipsticks, both original and chocolate collection, after trying and falling in love with the Melted Mattes. 

Gorgeous.

I was very mistaken in thinking these would be of good quality. I got the original melted in my give me some lip set and the chocolate in this set and both of them are completely gone off the lips after you eat or drink a couple times or even if you do nothing it's gone within an hour. It's horrible considering the price of $21 for a full sized tube that's going to act that way. Also the velvet applicator tip is quite messy. The colors are pretty but that's the only good things about these lipsticks.

The primer is AMAZING! I was using lorac eye primer and now im using Urban Decay Anti Aging Eye Primer and this Shadow Insurance is better than anything I've ever tried. It makes my eyeshadow stay on and not fade even after a hot, sweaty day on my oily skin and I even took a couple hour nap during those days. I really fell in love. I will be purchasing this full sized soon. At $20 full size it's around the same price point (usually a few bucks cheaper even) than the other similar brands and it works a hell of a lot better.

The Better Than Sex Mascara is sample sized and small. The small handle is hard to control since it's the same wide brush tip as the full size but other than that it works great aside from the flakiness.

I'm not going to get into too much detail about these sample sized products since I intend to give full length reviews on them each with comparisons and all.

The blush, bronzer and highlighter are all very subtle on my pale skin so idk if they would show up in someone darker than me but I liked them ok.

Overall this set sucks. I regretted the purchase and promptly returned it. Don't waste your money. Most of these holiday palettes have huge quality control issues and this one is no exception. Also a lot of people complained about the bulky packaging but you had to see the picture when you were buying it. It's obvious from the pics it's not travel friendly. It would be beautiful sitting on a vanity but otherwise the palette is removable so you can throw the pop up packaging out if you choose to.


Thanks for reading my review. Sorry no looks or tutorials this time. I couldn't make it work at all and I wasn't going to try any harder than I already had. 

Stay beautiful ladies because that's exactly what you are!

Twitter snowbunnybeth90 Pinterest callowayelizabeth instagram buzzybee25 facebook.com/YARNANDBEAUTY YARNANDBEAUTY.BLOGSPOT.com
YARNANDBEAUTY.wordpress.com

Pictures of my actual palette below:




No comments:

Post a Comment