Sunday, August 28, 2016

Too Faced Bon Bons Review and Tutorial!


Too Faced Bon Bon Palette Review and Tutorial!
Products used for look:
Cover FX contour palette for concealer, contour & highlight.
Kat Von D Lock It Powder Foundation for full face.
Baby Lips Lip gloss
Telescopic Mascara and younique step one mascara since layering two different mascaras gives a falsies look. 
Too Faced Bon Bons Palette (various colors only used from palette for this look so it's easy to follow along.)
Benefit Precisely My Brow Pencil

This was a palette that I thought would be more gimmicky than actual high end makeup. Like this for example (below.)

It seemed to pander to the new makeup user more than someone who knew what they were actually doing and had experience and expectations. 

Let me make clear that there is nothing wrong with being a new makeup user and learning. I learned from blogs, YouTube videos, copying pictures in magazines, etc. Like the majority of you.

 At the time the cute really "fancy" looking stuff looks really great!

 Especially if let's say this palette was going to be your first buy. It's pink, has hearts, smells like chocolate, is made with coco powder, is mostly shiny, has pretty colors. All the gimicky american things that draw you in. I like them too, but I think once you've been doing this for a while and are looking to make a bigger purchase you definitely want to get what your looking for and how the package looks should be last I think. 



What really matters at that point is how the swatches look, off a brush, since that's how they will be used of course. How many colors go together or will work with other colors in your makeup collection? how many of them are matte, shimmer, glitter shadows, etc. Depending on your preference? How many of the colors are you less likely to reach for because you know they won't work for you? How many of these colors can be used as base or highlight colors, and if not many are they in larger pans? What's the advertised staying power? How are the reviews? Are the colors blendable? Do they have a lot of pigment? These are the important questions.



 See. Not super gimmicky, but great wearing (above pics)!

Basically this is a big purchase when it comes to makeup. If you're not a makeup artist and not making money off of it then you better make sure you love it or you're going to be really bummed. 


You see all those ridiculous numbers of palettes that they regret buying? There's no reason for that when you can try before you buy at any makeup store or return to sephora or most online beauty retailers after trying if you dislike it (ex. Sephora.com)! Don't waste your money like these ladies please. You have options.

So anyway, onto this palette. This again was not my first choice. I was searching palettes online and I have a couple naked, cargo and lorac palettes. I wanted something new and different. I'm about sick of basic neutrals so I stuck with the serpentina palette. 



This was in my tops list but again seemed more of a gimmicky brand with a teeny bop following. 


 I ended up going to Sephora to trade in my KVD Liquid Lock It Foundation for the powder because it was breaking me out.

 I had already fallen in love with the powder my sister in law had that I snuck a few tries with. 

So of course being the makeup lover I am I literally walked through the entire store three times looking at and swatching everything at least once and doing my face makeup twice. 


Well I seen the Too Faced Collection and I was pleasantly surprised at how all the try me pallets were used down to the middle and showed the extent of the deep beautiful pigment. I was sold. I checked out every other palette and nothing caught my eye like the Too Faced Chocolate Palettes. It was a pretty easy choice.

 After checking them all out, asking all the important questions I stated above and seeing the colors I knew it was the Bon Bon Palette I was in love with. No contest. I tried to talk myself into buying it but I just couldn't afford it at the time. I thought maybe I'd buy one of the smaller palettes like the matte or too cute for $36 but honestly it didn't add up. I'd rather wait until I had the money and get a much bigger palette that I was truly in love with.



 So I asked my friend that night if he would purchase them for me. By them I mean the Bon Bons Palette and the Urban Decay Spectrum Palette that I found on sale for almost half off at $29. He said yes...

 and three days later they were here.

 I opened them up immediately and the box to the Bon Bon palette was adorable. A cute little cardboard chocolate bar. I open it up to a beautiful heavy pink tin package with hearts dented outwards. Then I open it and a strong smell of chocolate comes out. I smell closer and it's true it actually smells that way. Even three days later it's still just as strong. I have to admit I have never thought of smelling my makeup but it's pretty nifty. It's got a magnetic clasp that snaps shut. I love things that shut cool like that. 

After using it for the first day it's staying power was great and even on my eyes it had a smell of chocolate. I was sick this day so that was a bit nauseating but now I like it and I can only smell it for a couple hours before it either dissipates or I get used to it. I can't be sure of which.

The colors are very blendable, they all work well together, the highlighting/base colors are 2 or 3 times bigger than the rest so I might actually be able to use this entire palette alone until it gets close to running out. With a primer it lasts all day with minimal fading and without primer it lasts over half a day. Even when I slept on it for a couple hours it needed minimal to no touch up. 

I would definitely buy this palette again and I intend to buy the semi sweet. I would probably buy only one of the actual chocolate bars because let's be honest, they weren't all that creative. A lot of those colors are really similar if not complete dupes with only a couple unique colors. I'm not spending $50 just to have the set when I could add a totally different third palette and get a lot more variety for my money. That's just my opinion.

The shadows are so silky and I love the variety of mattes and shimmers and glitters. This really is a great palette and honestly since it can stand on it's own all the cuteness is just a really great bonus. Now that I know this I think I'm going to be trying a lot more products because if I can get a great looking package with fabulous product when I'm already spending an arm and a leg why the hell not?

I recommend this palette completely and give it 4.5/5 stars. I have to reserve my 5 star for the products that really blow me out of the water and are unique and above and beyond the norm but this really is one of the great palettes out there now!

Now on to the tutorial:
First I started with my concealer all the way from my lashline/ inner corner to right below my eyebrow. I used my Cover Fx contour palettes concealer. Then I used a mary kay eye primer, but honestly you don't really need one when using concealer it's just extra insurance at that point.Then I do my eyebrows with Benefits Precisely My Brow.


Step one:grab a fluffy blending brush. I used sephoras large blending brush #27. Lightly dip it in the color Almond Truffle and in a windshield wiper motion put it in and above the crease only. If you need more go back and add more but it's always best to start with less than build instead of doing too much to begin with. So this with two layers of this color. 

Step two: with your fluffy blender grab Mocha and do the same on top of almond truffle in the exact same motion but only add one coat for a little more depth.

Step three: Dip your shadow brush in Mocha and lightly touch it to malted. Draw a V with your shadow brush in your V. Now grab your fluffy brush and blend.that in towards your crease.

Step four: take your fluffy brush and grab Bordeuax and in small circular motions go from your outer half into right outside your eye where your wing eyeliner end would hit. Don't worry about the mess or not having a sharp line. We are cleaning and fixing this later on. 

Step five: Take your eyeshadow brush and grab a good amount of Cafe Au Lait and tap it from your inner eyelid all the way to where the inner v color hits. Keep tapping it on until you get the color payoff you need. So the inner two thirds.


Step six: take your fluffy brush and grab more Bordeaux and blend from outer V to crease lightly.

Step seven: grab your fluffy brush and grab some Dark truffle and just draw a small V back and forth a few times.

Step eight: Blend. Blend. Blend. BLEND. Blend outwards towards your hairline like your life depends on it. We want this to be smoked out. No definite or hard lines. 

Step nine: grab a makeup or baby wipe or if you don't have either of those toilet paper with lotion on it is a great makeup remover in general, and that's what I use so it will work here. Wipe off the excess and make a straight harsh line to make this cat eye shape.

Step ten: take Dark truffle and a liner brush. I used ABH eyebrow duo brush angled #14 but you could use any eyebrow brush and line your top and bottom lashes. Add a wing. And only line where there's lashes on the top and bottom. Then take Malted and tightline right underneath your lashes on the top. Kind of in your top lashes water line.

Finishing steps: Now add a black liner of your choice and mascara. Clean the inner part of your eye so there's no shadows in it. This includes the part where you put eyeliner and highlighter on the side of your nose. Then put Satin Sheets on the inner eye. Also put Satin Sheets under your brow down to where your crease color hits to lighten it up and blend harsh lines. Then grab a very skinny brush, possibly a clean liner brush and grab Divinity and brush that in right under your eyebrow line and no further down.




Then you're finished! Enjoy! 
Tips: remember to blend! 
Remember less is best. You can always add more color later and your expensive makeup always last longer if you aren't wasting more color than you need.

Always use a concealer, foundation or eye primer on the eyes. It makes the eye shadow color brighter and more pigmented and helps it last longer.

Also, if you ever think a different color would look better in a certain place or that a different color would look good in every place with the same technique go for it. Tutorials are fun to follow along with but you can change up the same look with different colors. That's the fun thing about make up. You can make it you.



Stay tuned for my youtube channel, more blogs, more tutorials from this palette and more, Reviews and feel free to make requests. 

P.s. Spectrum palette is on sale for $29 down from $55 at sephora.com. It is a sephora exclusive. For more cheap makeup urbandecay.com always has sale palettes for almost half off and other makeup. Most makeup online from individual sellers is fake so if they can't prove their purchase don't buy it.If you look up online how to tell a real from a fake of whatever you're buying you will see it's usually fake. For example look up anastasia beverly hills highlight palette real vs fake and once you know how to spot then go online anywhere but for example to mercari or posh mark and see how not even one of them is real. A good sign is that if there's a ton of an item listed from different sellers thats new and expensive it's fake. No one buys new expensive makeup that isn't on sale anywhere to turn around and sell it for less. Naked palettes are always fake too. Do your research and don't get duped over trying to save a few dollars because you will end up getting stolen from.

Please subscribe to me here, share me, google plus me, Pinterest @callowayelizabeth and Twitter @snowbunnybeth90

No comments:

Post a Comment