Friday, August 26, 2016

Matte cotton candy nails feat. OPI NEON tutorial for short nails!



 OPI NEON 2016 COTTON CANDY NAIL TUTORIAL

So my local Kroger generally carries most of the new OPI collections pretty much as soon as they come out. I'm more of a makeup gal. That means I pay attention to the new makeup coming out more so than new nail collections. That being said I absolutely adore doing my nails. I don't tend to care so much about brand new collections or release dates when it comes to this but when I see ones been released right where I can get it while picking up groceries for the fam I will. 

So here are the colors released in the OPI NEON 2016 collection. They are pretty but there's a couple colors in the collection that don't strike me as neon. For example the green and the purple. They are pretty and maybe considered bright but definitely not what I would consider neon for these colors. I tried them on in store and you need a couple coats at least to even get decent coverage and possibly more than a few coats to get that pretty neon color. If you want the full neon effect I fully suggest using a white base polish underneath since this is a sheer polish it would definitely get the color to pop. Thats what a few girls have said they have had to do to get the neon color to be truly neon.

For my tutorial you don't need to add a white base unless you want a more neon color and less of a cotton candy color. I personally wanted to do a tutorial and review based on how the color worked as sold. It wasn't sold with a white coat and no directions said to use it so this is the look you get with this neon color on it's own.

The color payoff again is very sheer but it dries quickly and as a busy mom I love that.  It has decent lasting power. Sheer polishes tend to last longer since the sheer layer can blend more with the nail profile than say a thicker polish that adds girth to the nail. When you have a soft and thick polish even when it's dry it's real easy to have it chip or have gashes turn up from small bangs on the nail.
Matte top coats tend to not last as long as shiny or hard top coats but thats just something you sacrifice for the matte look. It's not something I'm always in the mood for but I love the look during certain times (or more like certain moods. I think a lot of us base our nails, hair and makeup on how we are feeling that day as it is an extension of our self expression.)

Step one: Add a base coat If you like. I didn't use one for this tutorial and just added the polish straight to the nail. I start with my first coat starting from the middle, slowly brushing the excess to the outer edges. If it's not enough to cover the nail obviously dip the brush in, wipe off the excess and cover the missed areas.  Don't worry about it being too sheer at this point as we will be adding more coats later. For right now just finish putting one coat on each nail. The OPI NEON 2016 color I used is  OPI Precisely Pinkish.

Step two: Repeat with a second coat starting from the first nail you started with before and so on and so forth.

Step three: let your nails dry a bit by themselves or with a fan for a few minutes. Just so they aren't completely wet. If there's any excess on the skin you didn't remove right away do that now with a q tip or corner of a tissue or paper towel so you have a clean pink canvas for your design. When working with short nails you need to be mindful of this because since the skin is so close to all sides of your nail you can really mess things up if you're not careful.

Step four: Grab any size dotting tool. The bigger the end of the tool, the bigger the dot. The smaller the tool, the smaller the dot. We are going to grab the brush leaving all the excess on and letting it drip onto something we can use to hold our paint and dip our dotting tool into. You can use notebook paper, a plate (paper, plastic, glass you don't care about, etc.) You can use anything. Even the top of a nail polish you aren't using if you're desperate. You get my point though, you can use anything you don't mind getting paint on. Don't be stingy about the amount you put on but don't pour the entire amount you will think you will need for all ten or twenty nails either because it will dry out before it even gets to that point. A good amount that I use is letting a big drop drip off my brush twice. 
 Now grab your dotting tool and dip it into the paint and start dotting a straight line across the end of the nail. Kind of reminiscent of a french manicure. After this grab more as you need it to get opaque dots and dot a row right above that row with individual dots. Next add another row above that row with a lighter touch or a smaller dotting tool.
Continue this until it's how you want your design.
For the blue I used Sally Hansen Miracle Gel nail polish in the color Sugar Fix 370. (This is my favorite brand that definitely stands on it's own beside all high end nail polishes.)

Step five: wait a few minutes to let all the paint and layers settle and dry just a bit. Let air dry or use a fan. It doesn't need to dry completely. Just wait literally a few minutes and move on.

Step six: starting from the first nail you always start on so the nail that's had the longest time to dry start putting your matte top coat on. I would start from the top going all the way to the bottom with every swipe. I would only do one coat because that should be all you need and you need to be careful with how much more you add since we already have a ton of layers in some spots.  For my matte top coat I used Nicole by OPI Matte Top Coat NI 089.

Stay tuned for the next couple days because I will be adding my review and tutorials for the TOO FACED CHOCOLATE BON BONS PALETTE and the URBAN DECAY SPECTRUM PALETTE, along with little known tip on where to get legit urban decay makeup and palettes at half off. You will kick yourself for not checking in the past. 
Add me on twitter at snowbunnybeth90 and pinterest @callowayelizabeth and stay tuned for my youtube channel that should be starting next week. 

Remember for any of my tutorials makeup or otherwise you can use any colors you want or follow along with the exact product for the exact look. This isn't science. This is fashion :) my next tutorial is of this eye look from the kvd serpentina palette coming today or tomorrow.

Once I get 250 subscribers/followers between all of these I will start beauty giveaways monthly. Feel free to make requests and have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment