Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Urban Decay Primer Potion Original, Eden, Minor Sin & Anti Aging VS Too Faced Shadow Insurance PRIMER SHOWDOWN!


The story!

Before we get started let me just make this clear that I have tried every single Primer Potion from Urban Decay and the Shadow Insurance from Too Faced. To me the difference is so obvious it borders on fact and not really on opinion but I'm sure there will always be people who disagree. I'm going to tell you what the facts are of their performance abilities, price points, amounts in each tube, selection, etc. Then I will get into what the general consensus is from the people who purchased this from their reviews on the Sephora site and how it differs or stays the same from what's advertised. Neither of these products are horrible or even bad but I think one is better than the other unless you have different priorities in an eyeshadow primer than I do. I have tried other primers but we are only discussing these two right now and no other primer products.

An eyeshadow primer is supposed to give you a uniform colored base to work off of. It makes it easier to apply and blend the eyeshadows, makes the eyeshadow colors appear more vivid and makes overall application easier. During the day it is supposed to stop eyeshadow from creasing, rubbing off or fading. You can find primers that do more, such as anti aging primers, but these are just the main goals of the eye primer. 

 Before the internet blew up you were kind of on your own with figuring out what went wear, the best way to apply products, what products were useless and which weren't, what looked good against your skin tone, etc. But since the dawn of youtube anyone can be made into a makeup pro or know it all. This is where most of us, including me, learned the importance of the eye primer. Before this I used concealer or foundation to get my skin to look uniform before eyeshadow application since that's what I learned from my sister. That's usually where you turned to learn things you had questions about. Your family or the library's outdated books on beauty. It was really horrible compared to the age of youtube tutorials that is today lol.
I admit I still use concealer on days I'm between running out of primer and my next shipment getting here or when I can't find it in my makeup volcano. It's not altogether a horrible idea but there are better options like eyeshadow primers that are made specifically for that.

 I first was introduced to Urban Decay through Youtube and that's where I learned of their primer. Granted this was over a decade ago and I've come a long way since then but this is where I found this stuff out. Unfortunately I grew up extremely poor and even the majority of drugstore makeup was out of reach for me. Because of this I didn't get to try any high end makeup until I was 18 or 19 when I really nice fella would take me on these "shopping sprees". He made me feel like a princess and I finally got introduced to quality makeup. It was a huge wakeup call. I loved it. I could never go back to drugstore makeup after this. He opened my eyes to a world that was unattainable to me. Over time I became a tiny bit more financially stable and could slowly buy things I loved. A good mantra for me was to not waste my money on cheap makeup now when I could save it for better quality makeup down the road.


 My first primer was the original Primer Potion from Urban Decay (UD from here on out). It was ok. I honestly didn't see what everyone was raving about but then again I thought it was just a necessary step. A little later on I received my first high end makeup palette and like many peoples this was the UD Naked Palette. The original palette. This, like all Naked palettes (except for the Ultimate Basics that was just released) came with a four pack sample of each of their primers. Original, Anti Aging, Eden and Minor Sin. Anti Aging was pretty similar to the original in color and consistency but Eden and Minor Sin were so beautiful. They were so beautful I caught myself using them as eyeshadows alone on lazy or rushed days. Each packet lasted me about a week and then I got the Naked 3 palette by UD so I got to try each of them again for another week. After this I purchased drugstore brands trying to find a file for a necessary step but recently bought the Anti Aging Primer Potion. I'm 25 so it's about time I start adding anti aging products into my skincare and makeup if possible. I'm almost all the way through that bottle.

 Next up I purchased this years Too Faced Christmas in New York The Chocolate Shop Makeup Palette and Set. There was a Too Faced (TF from here on out) deluxe travel sized Shadow Insurance Primer along with a few other things. I kept this for a week and used the primer for about that long before I had to return it for quality issues with the eyeshadow (review on this blog). 

These times are what I'm basing my opinions on.
I'm a wise old man lol

Now to get into the

                                  SHOWDOWN!

                URBAN DECAY PRIMER POTIONS 
                                            VS.
               TOO FACED SHADOW INSURANCE!

Each of these bottles have about the same amount at the same price point, one with an unnoticeable amount more. 
 They are each $20 which is cheaper than most high end shadow primers. The UD versions are at 0.33 oz full size with a tiny sample size option at $12 for 0.16 if you want to just sample these or buy it more often. The Too Faced Shadow Insurance comes in a little heavier at 0.35 oz with no smaller version available because let's get real, that's already pretty small lol. Fortunately with both options you only need a very tiny amount on both eyes. A smaller amount is needed of the TF primer, I think because of it's slightly thicker texture. UD consistency is slightly thin feeling but not watery. The Sin and Eden versions are still watery and have a shimmer shadow look to them.

Let's see how they are advertised to the consumer shall we?

The UD Original Primer Potion:

What it is:
A 24-hour wear, nude eye shadow primer that ensures vibrant, crease-free wear. 

What it does:
This primer keeps your eye shadow crease-free while making color more vibrant and providing a smoother application. Formulated with polymer technology, it fills in any imperfections on the skin’s surface, prepping lids for all-day wear. It glides on smoothly, blends beautifully on all skintones, and dries on invisibly.

The Eden version:

What it is:
A creamy, nude matte primer that gives you vibrant, crease-free eye shadow for 24 hours. 

What it does:
Get a primer with multiple benefits. This 24-hour wear, crease-free shadow provides vibrant color and smoother application. Eden, a nude matte shade, glides on effortlessly, reduces the look of redness, and delivers full coverage for a gorgeous, subtle look when worn alone. Its innovative polymer technology fills in any imperfections on the skin’s surface, prepping lids for all-day shadow. 

The Minor Sin Version:

What it is:
A creamy eye shadow primer in a champagne shimmer shade that gives you vibrant, crease-free wear for 24 hours. 

What it does:
Prep lids with Minor Sin Eyeshadow Primer Potion’s super-sheer primer. An improved version of Sin, a champagne shimmer shade, Minor Sin features an ultra-sheer primer that’s packed with 24-hour wear. It goes on smoothly and lets eyes flaunt crease-free shadow and more vibrant color. Formulated with polymer technology, it fills in any imperfections on the skin’s surface, priming lids for all-day shadow. 

The Anti Aging Version: This version is $24 and not all versions have a smaller size available. The other 3 are $20.

What it is:
A 24-hour wear, creamy eye shadow primer that supports antiaging and ensures that eye shades stay vibrant and crease-free. 

What it does:
Intensify eye shadows and support antiaging around the eye area with this Primer Potion. This primer lets you prep lids for eye shadows, providing more vibrancy and versatility and all-day, crease-free wear. Its innovative ingredients minimize the look of wrinkles while improving the appearance of tone and texture. Dermaxyl® helps to smooth the appearance of wrinkles, and Kalpariane® supports plumping, firming, and hydrating the skin as it improves suppleness and elasticity. The optical blurring pigments create a subtle, soft-focus effect that instantly brightens up tired eyes and reduces the look of redness, thinning skin in the eye area, and other imperfections. 


Too Faced Shadow Insurance Primer:


What it is:
A crease-free, lasting eye shadow primer that lasts all day. 

What it does:
Shadow Insurance locks down eye shadows, intensifying color to ensure waterproof, crease- , and fade-proof coverage for up to 24 hours. The ultra-lightweight, colorless formula glides effortlessly onto lids, leaving a smooth, even canvas for budge-proof shadow application. 

What it is formulated WITHOUT:
- Parabens
- Sulfates 
- Phthalates 

What else you need to know:
Truly versatile, Shadow Insurance can be used with powder or cream eye shadow products, and it's concentrated: the size of a rain drop covers the entire lid. 

This product is free of synthetic fragrances and dyes and petrochemicals.


There is also a Too Faced Glitter Glue Eyeshadow Primer at the same size and price point that goes on like a normal primer but then gets tacky feeling. This is advertised as for glitter and glitter shadows. I have not heard of it for regular shadows and have not tried it myself so it won't be included here.

WHAT I NOTICED ABOUT DIFFERENCES:

Between the Urban Decay Primers the only difference I have noticed is the color of the colored versions. With lasting power and everything else they are all the same according to me. I will be just referring to them all as a primer potion from here on out. A side not is that I have not noticed any skin care differences from the Anti Aging version. Granted, I don't have thin or wrinkled skin at my age but I was expecting something. Idk. Maybe if I used it longer I would be able to prevent ageing.

Between the TF and UD primers I prefer the TF primer. Before trying this primer I thought it was a pointless step. There was many times I didnt use any primer because I didn't notice any real difference using only drugstore and UD Primers but when I got to sample the TF version I noticed a drastic difference mid day. I took a long nap (on my face lol) and woke up and my makeup didn't budge on my eyes AT ALL! I literally needed no touch ups at all. It was insane. Tried it the next day. Same thing happened. It was consistently budge proof every single day I wore it. I almost didn't want to return the set because I didn't want to be without the primer but then I thought I would just but it separately because I have or hated everything else in the Christmas set. 

 The TF option comes with slightly more and you need to use a lot less. The TF version has a tapered tip that you squirt out onto your finger (or whatever) and the UD versions all now have the applicator attached to a stick attached to the cap that honestly gets tapped on the edge and causes product to dry out and get wasted. I really don't like the consistency of any of the UD versions except for the Eden and Sin Version because the others are too thin and watery. I don't think Sin and Eden are viable for daily use as they have a strong shimmer color to them that definitely shines through. That can be great for light colored shimmer/glitter shades but any other color on top of it would just look weird. Because of that and the fact that I'm a beauty on a budget kind of girl it's not something I could ever spend $20 on when I would have to spend another $20 on a normal eye primer. As I said they are beautiful and can even be worn alone but it's not a good total eye primer. 

UD also does not have very good lasting power. I start creasing and losing color within a few hours and when I can go at least twelve with the TF it's really a huge difference. 


 After using TF I could never go back to using nothing, concealer or even UD and I really can't wait until my new Sephora shipment comes in with it.

Winner in my opinion: Too Faced Shadow Insurance.

Real quick let's talk about the general consensus of what other people think on the Sephora site. All UD versions have around 4.1 stars from a little over 1,000 reviews to more. The TF version is about 4.4 stars from 5,531 reviews.


Urban Decay Primer Potion Reviews:

The biggest complaint that people had (and I'm honestly just reading these, I'm surprised because I thought I was being picky) is the applicator not picking up or applying enough product the size of the applicator being too big and the biggest complaint being the change of formula. It is noticeably thinner and watery. The colored versions clump up on the eyes and it tends not to last very long on some skin types. I'm assuming this is oily skin like mine. A lot of people love this obviously but it wasn't hard finding bad reviews.


Too Faced Shadow Primer Reviews:

Ok I promise I'm not being biased here. Unlike the UD reviews where I could find problems immediately that people had and then found the most likely problems pretty quickly it was hard to find a bad review in hundreds of the reviews I went through. The one thing that was said was that it basically didn't work for people with ridiculously oily skin. I have pretty oily skin but these people used words like greasy lids, greasy face, and really oily and that on those people (it was only a few in hundreds) it either didn't last at all, or started to crease or didn't cause a the eyeshadow to be more vivid. This was a rare bad review in the grand scheme of things honestly which you would think would be the other way around at over 5k reviews.

All in all Too Faced wins it for the Sephora Public As well.

What do you think? Comment here or let me know on twitter @snowbunnybeth90 pinterest @callowayelizabeth instagram buzzybee25 <where you will find me most often
Facebook.com/yarnandbeauty

Stay gorgeous girls! New sephora haul to come soon! Xo


No comments:

Post a Comment