Friday, June 17, 2016

Juniper moon farms herriot heathers review



 I'm sort of a yarn snob. Ive been knitting and crocheting for a good year now. Thats every day. I'm in love with it. Knitting was my main dream but I had no one to teach me and had to learn off random youtube videos and online articles, etc. I became too frustrated and gave up a few times until I actually got it. Now theres no knitting technique I cannot do and no abbreviation I do not know. Crochet I could never get a straight edge. That bothered me so I don't do it so much anymore but I did recently make a pattern that you can find here on my blog for baby booties. You can also find me on ravelry. Im curlypurlybeth.
 Now on to my review. This yarn is Juniper Moon Farm- Herriott Heathers. This shade is called 1018 Pink Heather. This Heather collection is truly a heather bunch. The cors are pale and somewhat natural. They are so beautiful and are exactly what you would think of when thinking of Heather colors. 
 This is a serious squishy yarn. Once I grabbed this at my lys after grabbing and touching literally every ball in store, I knew this was the one. It sat around for a couple months in a special box. Not because I didn't want to use it, but because I wanted to make something I would absolutely love and wear often. Something like a shirt or a sweater. I had three balls. Bought a fourth when my lys got them back in stock. At 19.99 a pop it's not the craziest yarn and not something I could afford often. Compared to other high end natural yarns of the same quality this is of the lower price ends. 
 Anyway, I finally started a project. The Ginny owl cardigan. Then I started reading about how baby alpaca (which this yarn is %100) and alpaca yarn aren't good for form fitting garments. I was so upset. I looked and looked for anything to the contrary but couldn't find a thing. Then I contacted someone who made a form fitting dress out of this yarn. I was excited to work with this yarn so after looking through what seemed to be thousands of patterns I finally found another. A lace bust, three quarter sleeve shirt from garnstudio. I ripped out my six inches of cardigan and started over. Then the lady got back to me and said it kept its form fine. Horrible timing! Lol anyway I decided I wanted to do this garnstudio shirt in the garn yarn pictured So I ripped this out too. After all this I was worried about the yarn but honestly it looked just like new. The quality is amazing! 
 Do I finally picked a v neck sweater from purl soho that I will be adding a hood too from some free pattern I find later. I've added my own waist shaping and am working on the bust shaping now. I will do a post on the finished product (hopefully sooner, rather than later.)
 The stitch definition is amazing and the feel of both stockinette, ribbed and reverse stockinette is just as soft as the yarn in skein. The color is true to pictures, saturated and similar all the way through. Pretty amazing as I believe these are hand dyed.
 Also I hand wound this into a ball from the open skein being held around my knees. Two skeins wound and no tangles that weren't my fault. Just a tip. Don't wind your skeins until ready to use. This just stretches the yarn.
 This yarn holds its shape and definition like no other alpaca I've experienced. This is one of the softest yarns I've had the pleasure to work with and will be a go to favorite of mine. 
 This is described by the company as a DK weight to light worsted. The above picture for size comparison is one thread of yarn next to one normal sized sewing machine thread.
 If you have the chance please purchase this and stitch it into something beautiful that you can wear and love when you need a little extra hug of softness in warmth. This yarn is truly heirloom quality. You won't be disappointed. I rate this 10/10, and as I said I'm a yarn snob so that's saying something if I give that rating.  
 I was not paid for this opinion. All opinions are my own and are not bought by anyone.
 Juniper Moon Farms is a family owned farm that raise their own alpacas and other animals. They love and treat them well. They also shave them and prepare the yarn on the farm. Visit them for more info at www.fiberfarm.com
 I can't wait to try every single one of their yarns.
 Subscribe and stay tuned for more yarn reviews and tutorials.

No comments:

Post a Comment