Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Easy beginner sewing pattern mcalls m5292 option B and A

This dress turned out amazing. I used quilting favric which is usually not recommended but there's always tons of patterns to choose from and it's a light and breezy fabric. The pattern calls for a lining but honestly thats completely optional. I needed a cool summer dress for a hot kentucky summer. I have never followed a pattern beforw and only had basic sewing skills thanks to my instruction booklet and YouTube tutoruals. The directions were clear and concise and the sizing needed no alterations for me. You don't usually just follow your dress size but the measurements correlating to the dress sizes on the package. For this dress the bust measurement is what you should go by instead of the hip measurement as the bust is the fitted part of this dress. I finished this dress overnight in five hours and that's from opening the package to putting it on to wear.
 This dress taught me how to gather. I had to find actual directions from a tutorial but there was no guestimating on where to put it or how long the gathers needed to be. I found a few pictures from people who followed this pattern with the covered bust (option c), which was my original choice. After I seen how it looked all sewn up I wasnt sure it was exactly what I wanted so I chose option B. Option B is exactly the same as option A except as you can see the tie is on the back of option B and on the shoulder straps of option A. This is definitely a pattern I would recommend for anyone because you dont have to destroy one option to make another. You can make all three dresses in as many different fabrics, styles, and lengths as you want. Its extremely easy to follow for someone with the most minimal sewing machine experience and no clothes construction experience and even for the experienced sewer it's just a beautiful dress that's constructed so quickly you can wear it as early as the same day.
 Has anyone else tried this pattern? What did you think?
 I bought this pattern from my local Austins sewing shop in Louisville, Ky. It was half off, so.It only cost me $1.50. That's a great deal compared to online prices. I would check out and support your local sewing shop since they usually have some pretty great gems and a good sized collection at price points for everyone.
I got my fabric from walmart. 2 yards of red and white polka dot and one fat quarter of black quilting fabric. I know it may look a little Minnie mouse like but I wanted a little contrast between the waist and the rest of the dress to give the dress and my body a little more definition. Dress package was size 12-14-16-18 from bust sizes 36 1/2 and up. Thats exactly what I am so I used the size 12 and needed no alterations. I added bias to the top of the bust as I hemmed it a little too much, thats why it's so low cut.


No comments:

Post a Comment